Le Jardin aux habitant·es
Release date: end of October 2022
Created in 2002 for the opening of the Palais de Tokyo, the Jardin aux habitant·es is a work by the artist Robert Milin produced in collaboration with volunteers. This community garden brings together amateur gardeners, who are members of an association. Celebrating its twentieth anniversary, in particular with an exhibition, events and this book (published by the Centre national des arts plastiques and the Palais de Tokyo), means being able to revisit this long-term process of mutual transformations, between an environment and its inhabitants.
This book includes texts by Adélaïde Blanc, Éric Chauvier, Gilles Clément, Ophélie Naessens, an interview with Robert Milin by Guy Tortosa, as well as a large selection of images and documents, retracing the history of the Jardin aux habitant·es from its conception until today.
– “Sharing Authorship,” by Gilles Clément
– “Jardin aux habitant·es: Twenty Years of a Living, Collective and Artistic Process,” by Adélaïde Blanc
– “‘There, I Have my Irises.’ Feedback From a Heterotopia,” by Éric Chauvier
– Archives of the Jardin aux habitant·es, 2001-2022
– Interview with Robert Milin by Guy Tortosa
– “A Stroll Through Community Gardening Practices,” by Ophélie Naessens
About the authors:
– Adélaïde Blanc is a curator and Artistic Department Coordinator at the Palais de Tokyo. She was the curator of Les 20 ans du Jardin aux habitant·es, par Robert Milin (Palais de Tokyo, 15.04 – 04.09 2022).
– Éric Chauvier is an anthropologist, professor at the École nationale d’architecture in Versailles and writer.
– Gilles Clément is a gardener, landscaper, botanist, entomologist, biologist and writer.
– Ophélie Naessens is a lecturer in visual arts at the Université de Lorraine.
– Guy Tortosa, a specialist in “art and the environment,” is an art critic and artistic creation inspector for the Ministry of Culture.
Graphic design: Muesli
200 pages (in color)
Format: 16.5 × 24 cm (softcover)
Publishers: Centre national des arts plastiques / Palais de Tokyo
19 € (France)